Liam Asher- Getting bigger every day!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bon Appetit!

















After an inital rocky start, Liam has fully made the transition to the wonderful world of solid foods. While his main source of nutrition continues to come via "ba-ba" (bottle), he is developing quite the palate during his breakfast and dinner feedings. Maybe it is the result of being exposed to endless episodes of Top Chef and Iron Chef America while in utero, but our Liam is turning into quite the food connoisseur.

Therefore, in the spirit of such programs we present a multi-course spectacular, with Liam as head judge:

Allez cuisine!

(all scores out of a possible 5)

*RICE CEREAL*

















*Taste: Bland, with a strange texture unlike any I have experienced before
*Plating: Um, it was off-white mush in a bowl. Although the choice of spoon was pretty cool.
*Originality: Hey, Mom.....you could have branched out a bit from the typical standard rice cereal to try multigrain cereal
*Score: 2
*APPLES*
*Taste: WOW! Apples are yummy...waaayyy better than that slop you served to me earlier!
*Plating: In my eagerness to gulp this down, I forgot to look at how it was plated....though it looks lovely dripping off my monkey bib.
*Originality: Maybe not so creative...but me likey!
*Score: 5

*SWEET POTATOES*
















*Taste: Mmmmm....these spuds are sweet, yet savory. Props to Mommy for making them from scratch for me!
*Plating: Good call on the no-skid bowl....I got so excited that I nearly sent it flying.
*Originality: Creative use of both rice cereal and sweet potato to create a well-balanced meal
*Score: 4

*CARROTS*
*Taste: These were pretty good, but not as sweet as I would like
*Plating: Since the doc recommended Mommy not make my carrot mush from scratch (due to high nitrate levels), this was straight from a Gerber container.
*Originality: It was carrots. Woo-hoo.
*Score: 3

*PEAS*
*Taste: BLECH!! Peas are chalky, stinky....just plain disgusting! Why, Mommy....WHY???
*Plating: Who can pay attention to PLATING while eating something so...so...PUTRID????
*Originality: While I hope to NEVER eat another pea (Mommy: Ha..guess again!), at least Mommy & Daddy went easy on me the second time around by adding a delightful swirl of sweet potato to the mix.
Score: 1

*PEARS*
(see "APPLES")


*BUTTERNUT SQUASH*
*Taste:
Not bad....though surprisingly, not my favorite either
*Plating: My first bites of this came out of one of Grandma Wiberg's fancy ramekins during Christmas dinner.....nice choice!
*Originality: I thought a touch of butter and nutmeg would have really made this dish sing!
*Score: 3

That's the spectrum of flavors so far. We've adopted the "2 parts sweet potatoes to 1 part peas" recipe for all pea endeavors, which seems to be working pretty well....or at least, Liam hasn't caught on yet. : ) Obviously, he enjoys his fruits.....but we'll need to start getting him used to foods that aren't so sweet, otherwise we're in trouble! Next up- avocado and banana. Anyone want to wager a guess as to the outcome? :
)






















Love,
Farrah, Jeff & Chef Liam

No comments: